Decluttering to Make Room for a Home Office
Posted on: April 25, 2020 |
As we continue to work from home, you may find yourself wanting a permanent setup — especially if you plan on working from home regularly in the future. Once you figure out where you want to set up your home office, the process is simple. Follow the declutter tips below for how to prepare your space and how to organize your home office.
How to Declutter Your Home for a Home Office
- Decide where to set up shop.
Find a spot or room with good natural lighting — this will help to keep your focus. Next, make sure the area is somewhere where you can control sounds and distractions as much as possible. If it’s just not possible, invest in a good pair of noise-reduction headphones. Finally, take into consideration the temperature of the space. You don’t want to be in a room that will become sweltering or freezing with the change of weather.
- Prepare the space.
If your home is like most homes, the area you chose probably has some clutter to deal with before you can create your dream home office. Here are some decluttering tips to help you organize and clear the space:
- Empty the space out: Take out everything that isn’t staying. Items that will stay should be moved to a separate area to organize within the space.
- Sort the items: Each piece can go into the Keep, Get Rid Of, or Put in Storage piles. Organize items you want to keep in other rooms. Items going into storage can be placed in boxes and properly labeled. Finally, items you want to get rid of can be donated, sold, or thrown away. Declutter Tip: If you plan to sell or donate items but cannot do so right away, do not put them back where they were until later — you’ll likely forget about it. Instead, place them out of the way in a storage unit until you can properly dispose of them.
- Put items back so they make sense: If you’re keeping any items in the room that were there before, organize them in a way that they will stay organized. If you find a home for them that makes sense, you’re more likely to return it to its place when you’re done.
How to Organize Your Home Office
Everyone is different and has their own ways of organizing. But if you’re not sure where to start, here are some home office organization hacks:
- Keep an open space: You want to be comfortable in your office in order to get the most work done. As more clutter fills your office, you’re more likely to find yourself distracted. Create a clear and open space for you to work in and make every effort to keep it that way.
- Utilize containers: Containers can be a lifesaving feature in any home office. Not only does everything have a proper place to go back to, but you can keep everything out of sight for a perfectly organized look and feel. Use clear or open-facing containers to see everything quickly.
- Label, label, label: This is particularly important for papers. Invest in a label maker and organize your papers into folders.
- Use categories to organize: Sorting everything into categories makes it easy to find things quickly and put them back in place. Try this with everything from sticky notes and pens to books and budgeting items.
- Take advantage of any wall space: You can keep your desk clear by hanging and mounting objects to the wall including calendars, filing systems and shelves.
Store the Extras with Spaces Self Storage
So, what do you do with all of the clutter that you pulled out of your new home office? If you don’t have a place for it or are waiting until you can donate it, a self storage facility is your answer. Spaces Self Storage offers a wide variety of options near Riverside, Leslieville, Riverdale, The Distillery District, Harbourfront, The Beaches, and Cabbagetown in Toronto. If you’re concerned about the temperature of the space, we have climate-controlled storage units available at your request.