How to Organize Your Garage: Step-By-Step
Posted on: March 8, 2019 |
Many people take advantage of the spring weather to help get their homes ready for the summer season. One location that often gets overlooked is the garage. During the summer, the garage is used to store lawn equipment and supplies, sports equipment, sidewalk chalk and more. Cleaning and organizing your garage will help you to stay organized all summer long. Check out these tips and tricks for organizing your garage!
5 Must Follow Garage Organization Tips and Tricks
- Set aside time for the project: Before organizing your garage, it is important to have a realistic amount of time set aside for this project. Depending on the size of your garage as well as the amount of items inside, plan on spending at least one day to an entire weekend on this project.
- Pull everything out of your garage: One of the main things that makes this project take so long is sorting through everything in your garage. Before throwing anything out, be sure to sort through all boxes in order to make sure something doesn’t accidentally get tossed. In order to easily see what you’re working with, pull everything out of your garage. Once everything is out of your garage, sort your belongings into piles labeled “keep”, “throw-out”, “give away” and “store”.
- Look for dangerous items: When sorting through your garage, keep an eye out for items that should not be stored in your garage. These items can either be easily damaged by the garage’s environment or can possibly hurt you. Items like paint, any sort of paper products, propane tanks, clothing or bedding, canned goods and electronics should not be stored in the garage. Additionally, in order to avoid crazy energy cost, do not keep your extra fridge in the garage.
- Set up a floor plan: Next, try to visualize where you want to place each item. Items that are commonly used, like bicycles and sports equipment, should be stored close to the garage door. A snow blower, rakes and other seasonal items should be stashed in the corner somewhere out of the way.
- Purchase space organizers: A cluttered garage is not an uncommon problem, and you will find many garage organization container companies looking to help you. Take a look at what you have left to store in your garage. If you have a lot of smaller items, consider utilizing organization drawers. Large plastic storage containers can easily be stored on shelves to help maximize space.
Looking for More Storage Space for Your Garage?
As you’re sorting through your belongings, you may discover that you simply have too many items. While you love snowboarding, biking and playing basketball, these items are only used for part of the year. A storage unit rental allows you to keep items that are seasonal or not used year-round in a safe and secure location. Spaces Self Storage has a brand-new storage facility in Downtown Toronto on Eastern Avenue. Our storage facility offer more popular storage unit sizes, including the 5×5, 5×10 and 10×10 storage unit. Reserve your storage unit with Spaces Self Storage today!