6 Interior Design Tips from the Experts
Posted on: November 18, 2019 |
A professional interior designer can come into a home and give it a completely fresh feel. But unfortunately, as with hiring any professional, hiring an interior designer doesn’t come cheap. Thankfully, when you follow a few simple tips, you can get the interior designer feel without the price tag. Try out these 6 interior design tips below.
Interior Design Ideas for an Updated Home
- Paint small rooms light colors: One of the biggest mistakes you can make for a small living room, bedroom or kitchen is to paint it a dark color. Painting a room a dark color will make the space appear much darker. Instead, paint smaller rooms a light neutral color.
- Arrange furniture for conversation: People commonly push furniture pieces against the walls to make their home look bigger. In reality, this actually makes the room look smaller. Keeping your furniture floating away from the wall and in a H-shaped or U-shaped pattern will help to invite conversation amongst your family members and guests.
- Add large mirrors to the room: Hanging large mirrors in a room can really open up the space and make it look larger and brighter. When adding a mirror to a room, hang it perpendicular to the windows. This will help to bring in natural light and make your room look bigger.
- Declutter your home: The longer you have lived in a home, the more things you likely have. Decluttering your home will help make it look neater and more organized. It is also very easy to grow blind to the clutter in your home, so consider bringing a friend or extended family member in and asking them for advice on decluttering eyesores.
- Refinish outdated fixtures: When updating your home, you do not need to necessarily start over new. Instead, take a look at the things that are already in your house and consider giving them a fresh touch. For example, if your cabinets and cupboards are looking outdated, paint them a fresh color. Any light fixture or chandelier can be updated by simply spray painting it a bronze or nickel spray.
- Let natural light in: Nothing makes a home look drearier than large outdated blinds and drapes on windows. If you have heavy drapes, take them down and instead consider installing lightweight cotton, linen or silk blinds instead.
Let a Storage Unit Rental Help with Decluttering!
Decluttering the home is not as easy as it sounds. While you may know that your living room is simply too cluttered by large pieces of furniture, it can be difficult to justify getting rid of something that still has life in it. Instead, consider storing extra pieces of furniture, out of season decorations and other miscellaneous items in a storage unit rental. A storage unit rental allows you to store items you still need or want to hold onto in a secure location close to your home.
Spaces Self Storage has a fully climate controlled storage facility in downtown Toronto on Eastern Avenue. Our storage facilities have a variety of storage unit sizes available for rent, including the 5×5, 5×10 and 10×10 storage unit. Reserve a storage unit with Spaces Self Storage!