The Top Tips for Moving a Washer and Dryer into a Storage Unit
Posted on: March 27, 2018 |
It is extremely important to be careful when moving and storing a washer and dryer. Due to the size, weight and complexity, mishandling a washer and dryer can result in injury to the mover or damage to the appliance. Follow these tips when moving and storing a washer and dryer!
6 Must Follow Tips for Moving a Washer and Dryer into a Storage Unit
- Use a Cleaning Rinse on the Washer: in order to remove any detergent that may have buildup during the regular cycle, run a clean rinse through the machine. If you still believe there may be leftover detergent, run a solution of water and vinegar through the machine.
- Remove All Pieces: Remove any pieces that may fall off during the move. For example, remove the lint trap and put it inside of the dryer for safe keeping.
- Shut off Water Valves: Turn the hot and cold-water valves clockwise to turn them off. Disconnect the hoses and store them inside of the dryer with the lint trap.
- Turn off the Gas Line: Messing with the gas line can be dangerous. If you do not have experience with turning off your gas line, contact a professional. Once the gas line is off, disconnect the hoses and place them inside of the dryer for safe keeping.
- Use a Protective Cover: Any bumps or dents the washer and dryer suffers during the move can impact how well it performs. Protect both appliances by wrapping them in a heavy protective cover, like a blanket.
- Use a Dolly to Move the Appliances: Never try to lift the washer and dryer, as this can result in severe injury. When moving a washer and dryer, securely attach it to a dolly using rope.
How to Store a Washer and Dryer
Thankfully, moving the washer and dryer tends to be the tough part. Once the washer and dryer has been moved into the self storage unit, follow these steps below:
- Keep the Washer and Dryer Covered: Drape a sheet over the washer and dryer to prevent dust or dirt from settling on them.
- Leave the Appliance Doors Open: In order to prevent moisture from getting trapped inside of the washer and dryer, leave the doors open.
Spaces Self Storage Has Storage Units in Toronto
Are you interested in renting a storage unit to store your washer and dryer? Spaces Self Storage has storage facilities in Toronto, ready to meet your storage needs. We have self storage units ranging in sizes from the 5×5 storage unit to the larger 5×10 storage units. So, whether you are storing only a washer and dryer, or a washer, dryer and other appliances, we have a storage solution for you. Rent a storage unit at our Downtown Toronto facilities today!