Storing Furniture in a Storage Unit: How to Store a Couch
Posted on: August 23, 2018 |
If you don’t store a couch properly, it may not be as comfy and structurally sound when you remove it from storage. A couch that isn’t stored correctly can wind up with material damage, structural damage and feeling lumpy overall. Protect the longevity of your couch by following these tips for moving and storing your couch.
Looking for some quick couch storage tips? Check out this video!
How to Store Furniture: Tips for Moving and Storing a Couch
- Clean the Couch: If you have stored things in the past, you know how important it is to never store a dirty item. Before storing your couch, give it a thorough cleaning. Vacuum the sofa to suck up any crumbs, hair or dirt. Once any loose debris has been removed, use a steam vacuum to spot steam the couch. If you do not have a steam vacuum, clean the furniture with a mixture of mild detergent and water. Before using a detergent mixture on the couch, try it on an inconspicuous spot.
- Remove the Cushions: Removing the cushions and pillows from the sofa will make it easier to move. Not only will this make the couch easier to maneuver, it also will make it lighter.
- Use a Sofa Storage Bag: Use a sofa storage bag or blankets to cover your couch. While it is safe to wrap your couch in plastic when you are moving it, plastic is not a viable cover for storage. Plastic does not allow the material to breathe and can result in the formation of mold or mildew.
- Evaluate Your Home Layout: Never move a couch on your own. Not only can it result in injury, it can also result in damage to your couch or walls. Before moving the sofa, have a viable plan for how you’re going to get the furniture out the door. Consider any narrow entryways, steps or narrow hallways.
- Use a Climate Controlled Storage Unit: You invested in your couch, and it is important to protect it while in storage. Fluctuations in temperature make the sofa more prone to damage caused by mold or mildew. A climate controlled storage unit will maintain a temperature that is ideal for storing sensitive furniture.
- Never Stack Items on Your Couch: Avoid stacking any items on your couch while it is in storage. Overtime, the weight of items placed on your couch can result in uncomfortable and misshapen cushions.
We're Here To Make Your Moving Experience Simple.
Moving large pieces of furniture isn't easy. Did you know that our storage renters get access to a free moving truck with rental? This is just one of the convenient features offered at our storage facilities.
Climate Controlled Storage Units at Spaces Self Storage
Spaces Self Storage has traditional and climate controlled storage units in Toronto. Our storage facilities on Dupont Street and Eastern Avenue offer 5×10 climate controlled storage unit rentals, ideal for storing a couch, chairs and other smaller pieces of furniture. If you’re looking to store large pieces of furniture like a couch, mattress, dining room table and more, consider a 10×10 storage unit rental. Reserve your Toronto storage unit rental today!