Motorcycle Maintenance Tips for Summer
Posted on: May 29, 2019 |
As summer gets nearer, and the weather gets nicer, it is time to take your motorcycle out of winter storage! The steps you took to winterize your motorcycle help to prevent damage from occurring during the colder season. Once the warmer weather has arrived, though, it’s time to undo many of the winterizing steps to prepare for riding season! Follow these tips for preparing your motorcycle for the summer!
Motorcycle Maintenance Checklist for Riding Season
- Replace fuel: If you didn’t drain the fuel out before storing your motorcycle for the winter, it is important to change it now. The last thing you want is stale fuel circulating throughout the system, so do not start the motorcycle until you have replaced the fuel.
- Check the fluids: If you didn’t change the oil and filter before storing, do it now. Oil that is too old contains acid that can damage the bicycle. Additionally, check coolant levels and add more as needed.
- Inflate tires: Cold weather can cause tire pressure to drop. Before riding your motorcycle, check the tire pressure to ensure it is high enough. Additionally, spend time inspecting the tires to ensure they are in good condition. If the tread of the tire is too worn or there are visible signs of rot, replace the tires.
- Inspect the brakes: Before taking your bike out for a spin, it is imperative to check the brakes. When checking the brakes, squeeze the front brake lever and then press on the rear brake pedal. Once you determine the brakes are in good working condition, inspect the brake pads. Additionally, check the brake fluid. If the fluid is a dark yellow, consider replacing it.
- Test the battery: If you did not keep your battery charged during the winter, you will likely have to replace it. Additionally, if the battery is unable to reliably keep a charge, plan on replacing.
Store Your Motorcycle with Spaces Self Storage!
In a major city like Toronto where storage space can be limited, finding a location to store a motorcycle can be very difficult. A storage unit rental allows motorcycle owners to store their bike in a secure location outside of their home.
Are you looking for a storage facility near you? Spaces Self Storage has storage facilities in downtown Toronto, on Eastern Avenue and Dupont Street. Our storage facilities have a variety of sizes of storage units sizes, including the 5×5, 5×10, 10×10 and 10×20 storage units.
Reserve your storage unit with Spaces Self Storage today!