Rug Storage Tips: Follow These 6 Tips and Store Your Rug with Ease
Posted on: August 16, 2018 | by: admin
While rugs generally aren’t fragile, if they aren’t stored correctly they can become severely damaged. No matter if you are storing a welcome rug or an ornate oriental rug, there are a few tips you must follow to prepare it storage. Properly storing your rug will help to keep it in the best shape possible.
Looking for quick rug storage tips? Check out this video!
Rug and Carpet Storage Tips
- Clean the Rug: Before storing your rug, it is important to give it a thorough cleaning. Pests are drawn to leftover crumbs, food residue, stains and pet dander. And unfortunately, rugs are often caked in these things. When cleaning the rug, check the manufacturer approved instructions for cleaning care. Each rug will require a different level of care. Checking the instructions before you clean will prevent damage from occurring to your rug. If manufacturer approved instructions aren’t available, have your rug professionally cleaned.
- Let the Rug Dry Fully: Never store a damp rug. After cleaning your rug, be sure to give it enough time to dry. In order to easily dry your rug, lay it outside in a dry and shaded area for 24 hours. Never put a rug outside in the sun to dry. This can fade the colors of the rug.
- Roll Up the Rug and Store it Vertically: Folding the rug during storage can result in cracks or creases. The best way to store your rug is to roll it up. Store your rolled-up rug vertically to avoid dead spots from forming. Additionally, while your rug is in storage, avoid stacking any items on top of it.
- Wrap the Rug in a Rug Storage Bags: Wrap the rug in craft paper or a rug storage bag to protect it from dust or dirt damage.
- Use a Climate Controlled Storage Unit: Fluctuations in temperature can age or damage your rug. Unfortunately, this means that storing your rug in your basement, garage or attic is not a smart solution. A climate controlled storage unit will maintain a range of temperatures that is safe for the storage of rugs.
- Check for Damage: The worst mistake you can make when storing any item is to put it into storage and not check on it again until it’s time to remove it. The best way to prevent damage from occurring to your items is to check on your storage unit every few months.
Ready to Store Your Rug or Carpet in a Climate Controlled Storage Unit?
A climate controlled storage unit can protect your rug or carpet from dangerous fluctuations in temperature. We understand the importance of keeping your items safe from damage, which is why both of our storage facilities are 100% climate controlled.