The Best Hand and Power Tool Storage Tips
Posted on: March 16, 2018 | by: admin
As a homeowner, you likely have a variety of tools lying around your home. Even the smallest renovation project can require a few different tools to get the job done. Whether it be a hand tool or a power tool, in order to protect your investment, it is important to store your tools properly.
3 Tips for Storing Hand Tools
- Clean the Tools: In order to prevent rust from forming on your tools, use a cloth and some oil to clean the tools before storing them. After the tools are clean, apply a thin layer of a lubricant metal protector spray to any area of visible metal.
- Clear Out Damaged Tools: While you are cleaning your tools, spend time examining them to look for any sign of rust or damage. Any tools that are rusty or damaged should be thrown out and replaced.
- Organize the Tools: Keeping your tools neat and organized will help to protect them from damage during storage. A pegboard or tool box can be used to neatly organize and store your tools. This will also make it easier for you to find the right tool for the job.
4 Power Tool Storage Ideas
- Clean the Tools: Taking the time to clean your tools before storage will help to protect them from damage during storage. Any moisture or dirt that remains on the tools while they’re in storage can result in the formation of corrosion or rust. Use a rag to wipe off any caked-on dirt. While you are wiping down the tools, examine them for any signs of rust or damage. The sooner rust and other damage can be addressed, the better chance you have of saving your tool.
- Dry Off Each Tool: If you are storing your tools inside of a tool box or cabinet, give each tool an adequate amount of time to dry before placing them into storage. Tool boxes and cabinets are dark and if the tools are wet, it can create a breeding ground for mildew or rust.
- Coat the Tools in a Metal Protectant Spray: Use a metal protectant spray on any area of visible metal to protect it from the formation of rust.
- Store Tools Off of the Ground: If you are storing your tools in a tool box or cabinet, do not store them close to the ground. The ground generally tends to be more prone to moisture and fluctuations in temperature.
Spaces Self Storage Has Storage Units in Toronto For You
When it comes to maintaining the quality of your tools, it is important to choose a storage location that will keep your tools safe from moisture and fluctuations in temperature. While many people choose to store their tools in their garage or basement, these are not always ideal locations for tool storage. We highly recommend renting a climate controlled storage unit for the storage of your hand and power tools.
If you are looking for an area to store your tools, consider a self storage unit. Spaces Self Storage has two storage facilities in Toronto, located in Downtown Toronto and on Dupont St. in The Annex. Our self storage units range in size from 5×5 storage units, perfect for household tool storage, to 20×18 storage units, ideal for the larger contractor storage needs. Contact us or find a storage facility near you today.